For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Insurance, health, and fieldwork


Before departing, you need to find out whether your health insurance is valid in your country of residence. Sometimes this is the case, or you might have to obtain supplementary insurance. Also check whether your healthcare is valid for longer periods abroad.

Health insurances by companies like AON, Insure to Study and Students Insured, are specially developed for the purpose of studying or doing a work placement abroad. For personal advice please contact them directly by following the link below. Also check whether your WA insurance has international coverage and check for tips on the website of the Nuffic.


Sometimes it is useful to ensure that you have someone who perceives matters relating to student loans, taxes or registration at the UvA for you during your stay abroad. A form to authorize someone as a trustee can often be obtained by the designated organisation (DUO, Municipality, etc.) or on the internet.


Some countries require special medical care (e.g. vaccinations) , please consult your doctor, GGD or the UvA medical Service.


Are you going abroad for research and/or fieldwork? Read the Fieldwork regulations (PDF, 9p.), including a health and safety checklist (PDF, 1p.).

Chubb Travel Smart App

When you go abroad, you can use the Chubb TravelSmart app. You can download TravelSmart via the app store. You can create an account with your UvA email address; the password is the policy number of the Business Travel Insurance: DL221283. If you give consent, the app will recognise where you are at that moment. The app provides alerts in case of emergencies and you can use it to contact the police or medical assistance. The app also contains information on safe travel and accommodation.

ICT security

On ICT security you will find useful tips and information to work safely digitally.