For accommodation during your internship, you can ask the organisation where you are doing your internship for tips. They can sometimes help you or provide you with contacts. If not, see the website below.
Sublet your room?
- If you want to rent out your room during your semester abroad, you can use the housing platform HousingAnywhere. This way you can earn some extra money for your exchange. This website is free to use and it operates on a student-to-student basis. Feel free to use this webpage as well to rent out your room during summer period.
- You can also sublet your room through ASVA student union.
Visas and work permits
Make sure you have a valid passport. You might need a visa, depending on which country you are going to, so be sure to check this in advance.
- If you are going to do an internship abroad, this will also entail costs. Making a budget is therefore recommended.
- There are different ways to finance your costs, in addition to your possible internship allowance.
- For more grants, scholarships of different businesses, foundations and private funds of the UvA itself, see the link to the website below.
Make sure your insurance has good coverage abroad. In some cases, you may need supplementary insurance or to take out special student insurance for that period.
For some countries you need vaccinations. Ask your GP, the Dutch Municipal Health Service (GGD) or the UvA student doctors.
It might be handy to appoint an authorised agent whilst you are abroad, to keep track of matters concerning student grants and loans, taxes or enrolment at the UvA. You can get a form to authorise someone at the authority concerned or draw one up yourself.
International Student Identity Card
The ISIC card offers discounts and benefits in terms of transport, and cultural and historical places of interest in more than 100 countries.
Doing an internship abroad is fun, but you should also prepare yourself for work in a different culture. The culture can be very different from what you are used to in the Netherlands, especially when you go to work for a local organisation. Read about this beforehand.
- Cultures and Organizations. Software of the Mind, Geert Hofstede & Gert Jan Hofstede
- Exploring Culture: Exercises, Stories and Synthetic Cultures, Geert Hofstede & Gert Jan Hofstede
- Culture Shock! A guide to customs & etiquette. This is a series with versions for different countries.