For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
QTEM Exchange Programme

After selection

You're ready to go!

You can find all information you need, after you are selected for the Erasmus programme or the QTEM programme, on this page.

Registration at UvA and the exchange university

  • Your host university will send you an e-mail or a personal information package with instructions regarding their registration procedure and other information about practical arrangements (registration, course selection, housing, insurance, etc.)
  • After receiving the information from your host university, you can follow their instructions and register before the mentioned deadline
  • If you have questions regarding the registration procedure or the courses of the host university, you can best contact the  universities' International Office / Exchange Office.
  • If you have not received any information regarding your exchange university 2/3 months before your planned departure, you need to contact the Economics & Business Exchange Office.
  • Wait with making arrangements regarding your room in Amsterdam, your job and your ticket, etc., until you have received a final confirmation of your acceptance from the host university
  • If your exchange starts in September, it is important regarding your registration as UvA-student and your tuition fee for UvA, that you're registered at an address in the Netherlands and at the 'Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie (GBA)' on 30 September.

International Student Network

  • The International Student Network (ISN) organises activities for the exchange students who are studying at the UvA. 
  • The ISN provides every student with a mentor. The mentor helps the exchange student when he/she first arrives, with getting settled, showing the student around at the university and help with any problems.
  • If you like to make contact with students coming from the university where you are planning to study or where you have studied, you can sign up as a mentor for an exchange student.

Pre-departure meeting

Every semester, before departure, the Exchange Office organises a pre-departure meeting.

  • You will get a short overview of things you need to (have) arrange(d).
  • You can meet other students who have been selected to go on an exchange within the Erasmus Programme, share information and arrange/plan your exchange together.

The Exchange Office will send you an invitation for this meeting.

If you are selected for an exchange in the first semester of 2019-2020, you will be invited to the meeting in the Spring of 2019.

If you are selected for an exchange in the second semester of 2019-2020, you will be invited for the pre departure meeting in the Fall of 2019.

Extra elements of attention for international students who are going on an exchange

  • Visa: depending on the nationality of the student, a visa to be able to study in the exchange country is needed. Students need to inform themselves in time at the embassy of the country where they are going about the requirements.
  • Residence permit for The Netherlands: Make sure to check whether your Dutch residence permit is still valid upon your return to the Netherlands. If not, please make sure to extend it at least two months before your leave. Information on extensions can be found on
  • Passport: Make sure that your passport is not (going) to expire while you are abroad. If you do not arrange that in time and before leaving, you might be obliged to travel to your country of origin to arrange your passport before you are allowed to enter The Netherlands.
  • Housing:

-Your Dutch residence permit, if applicable, is connected to your registration with the municipality. Therefore do not deregister from the municipality when you go on exchange.

-For students who are renting their room from De Key or De Alliantie via the University of Amsterdam it is best to give up their room via If you need housing again when you return to Amsterdam, you can apply for a new room via

  • Health insurance: Students have to check if their health insurance is also valid in the country where they are going to on the exchange. It might also be needed to expand the insurance.


Check health insurance, travel insurance and liability (WA) in time. (in Dutch)

visa extension

Courses abroad

  • The partner university will inform you on the courses that are available for you, you can also consult the course database on the QTEM website
  • Choose the courses you would like to follow at your host univeristy, keeping in mind the follwing requirements:
  1. a minimum of 22 QTEM credits of quantitative or semi-quantitative courses
  2. a minimum of 50% of the credits of the Master's program overall should consist of quantitative or semi-quantitative courses
  3. successful completion of a minimum of 20 QTEM credits of courses in the same QTEM Module (UvA MSc courses are also taken into account)
    • Follow the instructions regarding the procedure of recognition of courses passed abroad of the Economics & Business Board of Examiners.

QTEM Internship

  • Covers a period of minimum 240 hours full-time equivalent.
  • The timing is at the discretion of each QTEM Participant, however, the internship must contain at least two consecutive weeks. Can be done before or after the exchange.
  • Can be done at home or abroad
  • Must be related to a quantitative topic and have a significant analytical content


Erasmus+ grant

  • The Exchange Office will apply for the Erasmus grant for the Economics & Business students who are selected for a QTEM Exchange in Europe, but can't guarantee that the grant will be available. The amount depends on your destination. 
  • In order to be eligible for the Erasmus grant, you have to have a permanent residence permit or your nationality has to be of one of the EU member states.
  • You will be added to the Canvas site for UvA students receiving an Erasmus+ grant. There you can find information on the paper work needed to apply for the grant. You can also find email addresses of students of other UvA student who are going to the same university or city as you.

Learn more about costs and grants.

Amsterdam University Fund - Individual Travel Grant

If you will be doing your QTEM exchange outside Europe, you can apply for the AUF individual travel grant.