The following requirements have to be met by the Global Exchange Programme application deadline:
- You have obtained official approval from your faculty, by means of a signed and completed Academic Approval Form;
- If you wish to apply to a faculty-specific destination that is not your own, you need to obtain approval from the faculty International Office of that destination as well as your own faculty International Office.
- Master’s students from the Faculty of Law cannot apply for the Global Exchange Programme.
- You meet the entry requirements of the host university, i.e. a specific grade point average or study level, You can find these specific entry requirements on the Digital World Map, outlined per destination.
Should any of the requirements above not be met at the time the application round ends, your application will not be processed further. This will lead to an automatic rejection, implying you will need to submit a new application in a next application round in order to be considered for the Global Exchange Programme.
The following requirements have to be met at the official start of your exchange programme (i.e. when the semester starts at your host university);
- You are registered at the UvA as a full-time student the moment your exchange programme begins and for the entire duration of your exchange programme. Students participating in the pilot Flexible Learning are excluded from the Global Exchange Programme.
- You have obtained at least 120 ECTS at the start of your exchange.
- There are two exceptions to this requirement:
- Students at Amsterdam University College (AUC) should have obtained at least 120 ECTS for an Autumn/semester 1 exchange, or 90 ECTS for a Spring/semester 2 exchange, at the start of your exchange.
- Students at the Faculty of Economics and Business should have obtained at least 90 ECTS at the start of your exchange.
A consequence of not meeting one or more of the requirements mentioned above could be a forced withdrawal from the Global Exchange Programme.
Also check our FAQ for further explanation.
In order to apply to the Global Exchange Programme, you must submit a complete online application via the Digital World Map. An application is considered complete only if the following criteria have been met / following files have been submitted;
- A fully filled in online application form, including the Reflective Questions;
- A complete and correctly filled in Academic Approval Form signed by the corresponding Faculty or Faculties (read the information below for more information).
You need to obtain permission from your Faculty and/or UvA Study Programme in order to apply to the Global Exchange Programme. This permission is granted through the Academic Approval Form (AAF). Without this signed form from the correct Faculty or Faculties, your application will not be processed.
For further information, please download the AAF that corresponds with your Faculty below. We highly advise students to start early with this step, as it may take up to 5 business days for your Faculty to approve and sign the AAF.
Start the application
- During the application rounds, you will find the link to the online application in the Digital World Map through the ‘Apply Now’ button. Please note, this only works for Global Exchange Programme destinations.
- The Application Guide provides information on the deadlines and clear instructions on submitting your application*.
* The new Application Guide (in pdf) will appear here during the first semester (Fall) 2021-2022.
Placement and selection procedure
You can find more information about the placement procedure on the webpage Placement and selection.