English language proficiency test
Test your English language skills
The UvA offers the IELTS test for free to UvA students. Please note that conditions for eligibility and application apply. In case you do not meet these requirements, you cannot pariticipate in the free IELTS test through the UvA.
Assessment of English language skills
The IELTS - International English Language Testing System - provides a detailed assessment of the following English language skills:
The oral component of the test is conducted on a one-on-one basis with a certified examiner on the first testing day (Friday) at a time designated by the British Language Training Centre. The listening, reading and writing components take place on the Saturdays listed in the ‘Test dates‘ section below.
Register at the latest before
|Friday 21 and Saturday 22 April 2017||Registration is no longer possible|
|Friday 12 and Saturday 13 May 2017||Registration is no longer possible|
|Friday 16 and Saturday 17 June 2017||Registration is no longer possible|
Friday and Saturday
The IELTS exam consists of an oral and written exam:
- The oral exam takes place on Friday and will last about 20 minutes.
- The written exam takes place on Saturday from 9:00 to 13:00.
Through the link below you can find information about IELTS tests which are not offered through the UvA.
The following UvA students are eligible for the free IELTS test through the UvA:
- Full-time third-year Bachelor's students
- Full-time Pre-master students
- Full-time UvA students who have been selected for an exchange programme
- Full-time Master’s students
Rules of participation
- You can only take the IELTS language proficiency test free of charge (through the UvA) once.
- During your application, you need to sign a one-off direct debit form. If you do not take one or more parts of the test, you will be charged €100.
- Once you have registered, you cannot cancel your scheduled test.
On 1 December, you can register for the free IELTS test. Please note: your registration will be definite (read ‘Rules of participation’ as well).
In case your preferred test date is full, you can sign up for the waiting list. Register in any of the test rounds and you will automatically receive notification if you can participate. If you are on the waiting list for one specific date, you cannot register for the IELTS test on another date.
The British Council offers online practice resources, follow the link below.
Contact the Student Service Desk.
About 14 days after you have taken the test, your results will be available online. You can also pick up your results (Test Report Form) at the Student Service Desk once you have been notified that they are available.
Proficiency in academic English
The free IELTS test for UvA students is an initiative of the UvA Executive Board and the Central Student Council. The UvA places a great deal of importance on its students having an excellent command of the English language.