Registration at UvA and the exchange university
- Your host university will send you an e-mail or a personal information package with instructions regarding their registration procedure and other information about practical arrangements (registration, course selection, housing, insurance, etc.)
- After receiving the information from your host university, you can follow their instructions and register before the mentioned deadline
- If you have questions regarding the registration procedure or the courses of the host university, you can best contact the universities' International Office / Exchange Office.
- If you have not received any information regarding your exchange university 2/3 months before your planned departure, you need to contact the Economics & Business Exchange Office.
- Wait with making arrangements regarding your room in Amsterdam, your job and your ticket, etc., until you have received a final confirmation of your acceptance from the host university
- If your exchange starts in September, it is important regarding your registration as UvA-student and your tuition fee for UvA, that you're registered at an address in the Netherlands and at the 'Gemeentelijke Basisadministratie (GBA)' on 30 September.
International Student Network
- The International Student Network ( ISN) organises activities for the exchange students who are studying at the UvA.
- The ISN provides every student with a mentor. The mentor helps the exchange student when he/she first arrives, with getting settled, showing the student around at the university and help with any problems.
- If you like to make contact with students coming from the university where you are planning to study or where you have studied, you can sign up as a mentor for an exchange student.
Every semester, before departure, the Exchange Office organises a pre-departure meeting.
- You will get a short overview of things you need to (have) arrange(d).
- You can meet other students who have been selected to go on an exchange within the Erasmus Programme, share information and arrange/plan your exchange together.
The Exchange Office will send you an invitation for this meeting.
If you are selected for an exchange in the first semester of 2019-2020, you will be invited to the meeting in the Spring of 2019.
If you are selected for an exchange in the second semester of 2019-2020, you will be invited for the pre departure meeting in the Fall of 2019.
- Visa: depending on the nationality of the student, a visa to be able to study in the exchange country is needed. Students need to inform themselves in time at the embassy of the country where they are going about the requirements.
- Residence permit for The Netherlands: Make sure to check whether your Dutch residence permit is still valid upon your return to the Netherlands. If not, please make sure to extend it at least two months before your leave. Information on extensions can be found on www.uva.nl/visa/extension
- Passport: Make sure that your passport is not (going) to expire while you are abroad. If you do not arrange that in time and before leaving, you might be obliged to travel to your country of origin to arrange your passport before you are allowed to enter The Netherlands.
-Your Dutch residence permit, if applicable, is connected to your registration with the municipality. Therefore do not deregister from the municipality when you go on exchange.
-For students who are renting their room from De Key or De Alliantie via the University of Amsterdam it is best to give up their room via email@example.com. If you need housing again when you return to Amsterdam, you can apply for a new room via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health insurance: Students have to check if their health insurance is also valid in the country where they are going to on the exchange. It might also be needed to expand the insurance.
Check health insurance, travel insurance and liability (WA) in time.
Amsterdam University Fund - Individual Travel Grant
If you will be doing your QTEM exchange outside Europe, you can apply for the AUF individual travel grant.