Global Exchange Programme
In order to apply for a Global Exchange Programme, make sure you have thoroughly read all the information about the university of your choice in the menu ‘Destinations’. Then you may proceed to read the selection procedure and check whether your destination is available during the next deadline. If so, you are ready to start the online application and collect the necessary additional documentation.
On this page:
- You have obtained at least 120 ECTS
- You are registered at the UvA as a full-time student by the time your exchange begins
- You are officially approved by your faculty by means of an Academic Approval
- PLEASE NOTE: AUC students should have obtained at least 90 ECTS prior to departure and Master’s students from the Faculty of Law cannot apply for the Global Exchange Programme.
During the application round, International Student Affair (BIS) takes in applications and in a careful selection procedure BIS will choose students and nominate them for an exchange at their host university. Although students are seldom rejected by host universities, the final decision to accept nominated students as exchange students, is theirs.
All applications are reviewed with a so called point system. Points can be earned in different parts of the application. Your application will be judged on the content of the motivation letter, your CV (Resume), your academic progress, study pace and average marks.
Check your possibilities
International Student Affair (BIS) does not regard the academic fit in your study programme, for this you need to consult your academic advisor and/or international office of your faculty. Also, it is your own responsibility to check whether your wishes for the exchange fall within the set opportunities of the exchange as can be found on the digital world map.
- There are three application rounds for the Global Exchange Programme, in December, January and June. Please note that not all universities of the programme are automatically available in each application round.
- Also, during round three (and for some of the destinations in round 2), you can only apply for a second semester exchange.
- Download the overview of possible destinations for the upcoming application round below and check whether the university of your choice is included and for which semester you can apply. The overview of possible destinations for the first round will be made available during the Study Abroad Fair in September/October.
- The overview of the second round will be made available after 20 December and the overview of the third round after 1 May.
- Round 1: starts 1 November and ends 1 December at 17:00
- Round 2: starts 24 December and ends 15 January at 17:00
- Round 3: starts 15 May and ends 15 June at 17:00
Applicants with the highest scores (total amount of points from the Selection Committee) will be granted a spot as exchange student, depending on the number of available slots that the partner university has allocated to the UvA.
The application round overview also indicates the chance of placement and if there are slots reserved for students from a specific faculty/department. The chances of being selected vary per destination. It all depends upon available spots and the popularity of the universities in question.
Online application and result
To apply for a Global Exchange Programme, you need to create a personal online application. Selection will take place based on this. International Student Affairs (BIS) will email the results for round one on 15 December, for round two on 1 February and for round three on 1 July.
The following documents are required:
- Résumé: please use the format given below, the resumé should be written in English
- Academic Approval Form: download the form and follow the given instructions
- Official transcripts: please upload a transcript of all institutions you studied at after high school
- Diplomas and Certificates (and if needed, a plan of action for language requirements)
International Student Affairs (BIS) offers several ‘Application Assistance Meetings’ to help you apply for the Global Exchange Programme. Please make sure to first carefully follow the application instructions on the Global Exchange website. During this session you will have the opportunity to ask questions about the requirements, expected timeline, application procedure and chances of placement. These sessions will be organised several times and will be announced in under news & events.
Start the application
- The Application Guide provides clear instructions on submitting your application.
- During the application rounds, you will find the link to the online application in the Digital World Map through the ‘Apply Now’ button. Please note, this only works for Global Exchange Programme destinations.
- The deadlines and practical instructions can be found in the Application Guide.