Application for an Erasmus exchange
On this page:
Application form Erasmus Programme
To be considered eligible for the Erasmus Programme, you will have to meet the following requirements:
At the time of your departure:
- You have obtained 60 EC.
- You must be enrolled at the UvA and must have paid your tuition fees.
- You will be staying abroad for a period of at least 3 months, to a maximum of 1 academic year.
Students are eligible for an Erasmus grant per study (bachelor, master, PhD, internship). More information on the Erasmus grant can be found at Erasmus+.
To apply for the Erasmus Exchange Programme you need to fill out the online application form. You can apply for two universities. You application should contain the following PDF documents:
- Motivation letter (university of first choice, maximum 1 A4).
- Motivation letter (university of second choice, maximum 1 A4).
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Copy of your passport or ID-card.
- Official transcript of records (list of grades obtained in your academic career), sorted by date (available at the Programme Administration Desk).
- Study plan of your studies at the UvA until the start of the exchange period (courses and ECTS). Create the study plan in Word or Excel and save as PDF.
- Academic Approval Form (contact the Academic Study Abroad Advisor of your study programme). Keep in mind that your advisor might be busy. Therefore, ask your advisor for his or her signature a couple of weeks in advance of the deadline. Without a signature your application will not be processed.
Please note: other documents, such as reference letters, will not be taken into account.
In the application form you are asked to provide a provisional list of courses you would like to follow at the host university. Write down all the course titles and credits before filling out the form. If information about courses in the next semester/academic year is not published yet, please use the course catalogue of the current academic year.
Your application for the Erasmus Programme is submitted to the International Office Humanities. Please note: after submission no changes can be made to the form. Only complete applications will be processed.
- Deadline: 1 March, application for an exchange in the first semester, second semester or full academic year.
- Deadline 2nd round: 15 June, this is an extra deadline for an exchange in the second semester (limited number of partner universities).
- Deadline 3rd round*: no deadline, selection will take place in order of application (limited number of partner universities).
The selection takes place after the deadline. The Admissions & International Office Humanities will inform you within 6 weeks after the deadline about the selection and the further procedures.
Application form Horizon Fund
- You have to be enrolled at the UvA and have paid your tuition fees.
- You have to be a student at the Faculty of Humanities (major) and have obtained at least 60 EC.
- You are going abroad to study, do a work placement, conduct research, undertake fieldwork, give a presentation at a conference or participate in a summer or winter course.
- You are willing to participate in promotional or other international activities on behalf of the International Office.
Students receiving a grant or subsidy from the European Union, such as an Erasmus grant, are not eligible for the Horizon Fund.
An application file for Horizon Fund consists of:
- Application form (available online, see link below).
- Budget (please use this template, the Nuffic site has information in Dutch only).
- Transcript of records (official transcript), possibly also higher education diplomas.
- Passport photo.
Please note: once you have completed the form, you need to print it out immediately! It is unfortunately not possible to save the form midway and complete it at a later stage. Make sure therefore that you fill in everything in one sitting and that you have access to a printer.
Study abroad in 2017-2018: 15 October, 15 January and 15 June.
Applications can be submitted before departure or upon return. However, the study period abroad must take place in the same academic year as the application.